Candle Making… how to make your own, and how easy it really is!
When I was younger, my family would often travel for business and as a result they sent me to stay with my grandmother and to keep me busy and entertained, she would teach me how to make candles!
Thirty years ago, my grandmother had a large school in Tehran where she taught candle making, flower making and tailoring. Her great interest in these arts encouraged me to explore and learn from her.
Personally, making candles is therapeutic, fun and rewarding and it helps me wash away any stress. Playing around with textures and colours, wax and perfumes or essential oils all while creating something you love and enjoy is stress- relieving and helps calm my mind.
While I am making candles, my whole focus becomes the candle and I barely think about other stuff like business, deadlines, emails and other tensions. Also, once you light your candles up, especially the aromatherapy candles, it can help calm your mind and body. I tend to light up my candles in the evening, to help me unwind and aid my meditation. Soothing fragrances like rosemary, cinnamon and vanilla can instantly shift my mood and productivity.
Candles are the perfect present. They are versatile and have an array of scents. Handmade ones especially add that perfect personal touch!
You can also consider this as a home-based candle business!
Candles are something you needed throughout the year and people love to gift them on different occasions like a Valentines, Mother’s Day, Birthdays and Christmas. If you are a creative crafter, you can easily turn this hobby into a part-time business! This thriving and high demand market will allow you to be your own boss and build something you own and love while you are spending more time with your family. Small businesses are easy to start and allows you to have your own schedule and day to day activities.
You may wonder which types of candles are my favourite ones?
I love making 100g soy wax candles with rosemary and cinnamon scents. I enjoy playing with colours but so far, cream and grey candles are my favourite as I can easily match them with my room decoration. I use frosted glass sprays to create semi-transparent frosted glass. I typically use frost glass, as it’s difficult to prevent air bubbles and wet spots as the wax cools inside the jar or glass! So as a tip, I would suggest using frosted glasses or coloured glasses for your candles!
How to make your own scented candles?
First of all, you need the following ingredients:
- Soy wax or paraffin
- Your favourite essential oils
- Heatproof bowl
- A jar or glass or any container you want to use as your candle moulds
- Candle colouring
Follow these simple steps to create your very own candles:
- Wash your container with water very well and then dry it thoroughly before using it.
- It’s good to preheat your glass to prevent wet spots and bubbles.
- Chop your paraffin into small pieces as it can melt quickly and use your bowl to melt your paraffin.
- Once the paraffin has melted completely, it’s time to add the essential oil and powder for colour, if you wish.
- Remove the bowl from the heat once everything has been added and mixed.
- Insert the wick and make sure it is sitting horizontally across the top of the mould.
- Once the candle is dry and ready, it’s time to cut off the wick.
- Light your candle up and enjoy!