13 Habits To Have a Healthier Lifestyle
1. Eat a wide variety of foods. This will help ensure you consume a wide variety of nutrients which help prevent deficiencies and keep your body working efficiently. Some studies have shown that people who eat 30 types of plant-based food each week have a more varied gut bacteria, and consequently, a healthier gut microbiome. Thus, they have a better immune system.
2. Prioritise starchy carbohydrates. Often seen as a diet enemy, carbohydrates are vital for a healthy body. Starchy carbohydrates such as wholemeal bread, rice, pasta, oats, maise, lentils provide a slow release of steady energy. They can help to control hunger and keep energy levels up. They also contain more fibre, vitamins and minerals and are healthier than white flours. Nonetheless, simple carbohydrates such as sugar, honey, fruits and white bread can also benefit your body. They are an excellent source of energy immediately before and during activity and help refuel the energy used instantly following exercises as they are broken down very quickly in your body, providing a fast source of energy.
3. Eat at least five portions of fruits and vegetables daily. Fruits and veggies are loaded with micronutrients, vital for staying healthy. Eating them will give you a natural mood boost, help you feel more energised, and lower your risk of severe health problems. Try starting your day well by adding a piece of fruit to your breakfast. By having another two portions of vegetables with lunch and two more with dinner, you can easily manage to eat your five portions. According to the NHS, an adult portion of fruit or vegetable is 80g.
4. Limit saturated fat. Reducing the amount of saturated foods in your nutrition can help keep cholesterol levels in check. Saturated fats are found in pastries, oils, cakes, butter, pies and cheese. You can do a few things to reduce saturated fat from your diet, such as checking foods' labels when you shop, measuring the amount of oil you use with a teaspoon, or using an oil spray. You can also cut the visible fat and take the skin off the meat and poultry before cooking it. Besides, you can opt for leaner cuts of meats lower in fat, such as turkey breast and reduced-fat mince.
5.Start to cook. Most people think that eating healthy means eating bland food, which is entirely wrong. Start to follow some inspiring healthy food accounts such as fitgreenmind, feelgoodfoodie and fitmencook to get meals ideas. Remember, the best way to control what you eat is to cook it yourself. Besides, it will also help you to save some money.
Various healthy herbs and spices such as Ginger and Turmeric have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, leading to various health benefits. Besides, spices and herbs are a great way to change the taste of your recipes and never get bored.
7. Try health shots. Our natural shots are a great complement to a healthy diet. Our main ingredient is Ginger, which benefits your body in so many ways. Ginger is a plant native from Asia, which has been used for more than 4,000 years for cooking and medicinal purposes. The root is famous because it increases energy, strengthens the immune system, relieves nausea, improves circulation.
8. Drink plenty of water. Your body contains between 55 to 75% of water. Drinking water is essential in the matters of your health, fitness and physique goals. The amount of water required each day varies according to your age, activity level, sex and climate. In the UK, the NHS (National Health Service) recommends drinking 6 to 8 glasses a day or 1.9 litres, including water in your food.
9. Stay active. A healthy diet combined with more activity goes a long way to improve your overall health. Being active doesn't necessarily mean that you have to exercise at the gym. There are many ways to stay active, such as decorating your room, tying the garden, or walking. The NHS recommends doing at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity a week or 75 minutes of high-intensity activity.
10. Make your sleep a top priority. When you are asleep, your body can repair itself. Besides, sleep is when your brain can organise the information from the day and store away memories. Thus, sleep is vital for having excellent mental and physical health. For good sleep, avoid the screen at least one hour before going to bed. Besides, try to sleep and wake up consistently at the same time; it will aid your long-term sleep quality. Meditation can also help you to fall asleep faster; my favourite meditation is "Let Go of The Day" by depression to expression.
11. Stay indulgent with yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you had too much junk food or didn't exercise. It's ok if you don't feel 100% every day. Do your best and be proud of yourself. Your mental health has a significant impact on your overall well-being.
12. Practice Self-Care: Take time to do something that you love. It can be watching your favourite TV show, having a bath with relaxing oils or spending time with your pet. The importance is that you take care of yourself for yourself. Practising self-care helps reduce stress, improve self-image and relationships with others.
13. Enjoy spending time outside. Nature is a magical thing; breathing the fresh air, taking the sun, observing trees and flowers can be a powerful remedy to improve your physical and mental health. Whenever you feel low, try to have a 20 minutes walk outside; you will get straight away better.
No more excuses. It's time to be the best and healthiest version of you; we gave you all our tips! Don't forget you are strong, beautiful and can do anything! The Fighter Shots team believes in you!